Here’s the official list of Singapore 2020 public holidays – you’ve got 7 long weekends to look forward to. We also show you how to maximise 14 days of leave to enjoy 46 days off next year!
Here’s the list of 2020 public holidays according to Singapore’s Ministry of Manpower.
|1 January 2020||Wednesday||New Year’s Day|
|25 January 2020||Saturday||Chinese New Year|
|26 January 2020||Sunday||Chinese New Year|
|27 January 2020||Monday||Chinese New Year|
|10 April 2020||Friday||Good Friday|
|1 May 2020||Friday||Labour Day|
|7 May 2020||Thursday||Vesak Day|
|24 May 2020||Sunday||Hari Raya Puasa|
|25 May 2020||Monday||Hari Raya Puasa|
|31 July 2020||Friday||Hari Raya Haji|
|9 August 2020||Sunday||National Day|
|10 August 2020||Monday||National Day|
|14 November 2020||Saturday||Deepavali|
|25 December 2020||Friday||Christmas Day|
Monday, 27 January 2020, will be a public holiday if your rest day falls on 26 January 2020.
Monday, 25 May 2020, will be a public holiday if your rest day falls on 24 May 2020.
Monday, 10 August 2020, will be a public holiday if your rest day falls on 9 August 2020.
This presents an amazing seven long weekends in 2020 – Chinese New Year, Good Friday, Labour Day, Hari Raya Puasa, Hari Raya Haji, National Day, and Christmas Day. For Chinese New Year (Day 2), Hari Raya Puasa, and National Day which fall on Sundays, the immediate Monday is usually given as off-in-lieu.
If you maximise your 14 days of leave, you’ll get 46 days off!
What employees need to know about public holiday entitlements
- Employees are entitled to the gross rate of pay on a public holiday, if they were not absent on the working day immediately before or after a holiday without consent or a reasonable excuse; or were are on authorised leave (e.g. sick leave, annual leave) on the day immediately before or after a holiday.
- If employees are required to work on a public holiday, they should be paid an extra day’s salary at the basic rate of pay.
- If employees work on a public holiday, they and the employer can mutually agree to substitute a public holiday for another working day.
- For employees in a managerial or executive position, the employer may grant time off in lieu for working on a public holiday. The time off should consist of a mutually agreed number of hours.
Here’s a pre-departure checklist of what you need to know before you jet off on your 2020 long weekend break:
- Travel in style: 6 credit cards which help you get free access to airport lounges
- Why you should never pay in SGD when overseas
- How to maximise and redeem KrisFlyer miles on over 30 partner airlines
- Planning your hotel accomodation? Here’s 5 ways to save money on top hotels and also the latest Agoda credit card promotions
- Visa, MasterCard or Amex: Which is best for overseas use?
- Best 6 credit cards to earn miles overseas
Compare and purchase travel insurance plans on SingSaver
Every holiday deserves to be protected. No matter how long or short the trip, be sure to cover your plans with the best travel insurance for your needs. Here’s a quick checklist of 10 questions you need to ask yourself before deciding on a travel insurance policy.
Compare and purchase your travel insurance through SingSaver to get the best deals and discounts for your preferred coverage!
Read these next:
Travel Insurance Promotions and Discounts for 2019
2019 Agoda Credit Card Promotions To Book Your Holiday With
7 Family Holiday Ideas Less Than 7 Hours From Singapore
6 Credit Cards Which Give Free Access to Airport Lounges
10 Tips To Buying The Right Travel Insurance in Singapore