Singapore markets closed
  • Straits Times Index

    +15.16 (+0.49%)
  • Nikkei

    -484.84 (-1.83%)
  • Hang Seng

    +56.96 (+0.33%)
  • FTSE 100

    +12.22 (+0.18%)

    -162.28 (-0.84%)
  • CMC Crypto 200

    +0.06 (+0.01%)
  • S&P 500

    -54.85 (-1.51%)
  • Dow

    -500.10 (-1.71%)
  • Nasdaq

    -161.89 (-1.51%)
  • Gold

    -0.30 (-0.02%)
  • Crude Oil

    -1.49 (-1.83%)
  • 10-Yr Bond

    +0.0570 (+1.52%)
  • FTSE Bursa Malaysia

    -2.87 (-0.21%)
  • Jakarta Composite Index

    +4.60 (+0.07%)
  • PSE Index

    -193.18 (-3.26%)

Second G7 summit police officer tests positive for Covid-19

·2-min read
<span>Photograph: Xinhua/REX/Shutterstock</span>
Photograph: Xinhua/REX/Shutterstock

A second police officer involved in the G7 security operation has tested positive for Covid-19 and a second hospitality business in St Ives has recorded a case.

The Liberal Democrats in Cornwall expressed concern before the summit that the influx of police, delegates and protesters could increase Covid cases and questioned the wisdom of staging a face-to-face meeting.

The Guardian learned on Saturday that a second police officer drafted in to help from a force outside Devon and Cornwall had tested positive. Five others were asked to isolate as a precaution.

Devon and Cornwall police said: “As part of our testing regime, we have identified one officer who is currently supporting G7 policing who has tested positive for Covid-19 following a PCR test on 11 June.

“The officer, plus a further five officers who have come into close contact, will be repatriated back to their host force where they will enter into a period of self-isolation as per the advice of Public Health England.”

Police said on Friday that an officer billeted on a cruise ship anchored off Falmouth to provide accommodation for about 1,000 had tested positive, which led to 11 others having to isolate. The second officer was not staying on the ship.

A pub on the harbour at St Ives has also temporarily stopped serving food and drink after a staff member tested positive. The Lifeboat Inn has kept its rooms open.

St Austell Brewery, which owns the pub, said: “We can confirm that a member of our team at the Lifeboat Inn has tested positive and a number of our team are self-isolating.

“We have taken the decision to temporarily close our food and drink offering at the site as a result of the reduced staff capacity. Guest rooms remain open and we continue our extensive measures to keep everybody safe, including staff testing, regular cleaning practices, social distancing and face coverings in all public areas.”

Pedn Olva, a hotel owned by the brewery, has closed temporarily after a number of staff tested positive. It said: “The hotel will reopen once a full Covid-19 deep clean has taken place and we have the available staff to run it.”