Overseas acquisitions from Singapore at its highest since 2007

It's up 21% to US$19.5 billion.

According to Thomson Reuters, foreign acquisitions targeting Singapore-based companies reached a record high of US$27.2 billion, up three-times compared to 2011, driven by mega deals related to the competing bids for Fraser & Neave and acquisition of Asia Pacific Breweries by Heineken.

Here's more from Thomson Reuters:

Acquisitions from Thailand captured majority of Singapore’s inbound activity with US$13.8 billion representing 50.8% of the market share. Meanwhile, Netherlands registered US$6.6 billion (24.1% market share) of announced deals followed by Japan with US$3.0 billion (10.9% market share).

The bulk of the inbound deals targeted Singapore’s Consumer Staples with 17 deals worth US$23.1 billion, a huge upsurge from last year’s 9 deals worth US$181.4 million. Consumer Staples accounted for 84.8% of Singapore’s inbound M&A, followed by Materials (6.0%) and the Financials sector (3.9%).

Outbound Acquisitions Highest Since 2007
Despite the 13.6% decline in deal count, overseas acquisitions from Singapore companies reached US$19.5 billion so far this year, a 21.2% increase compared to 2011, and the highest annual period since 2007 when volume spiked to US$45.4 billion.

Majority of Singapore’s outbound acquisitions was in the Financials industry (US$8.3 billion) with 42.8% market share, a 32.6 increase in market share points.

DBS Group Holdings agreed to acquire a 67.4% interest in Indonesia’s Bank Danamon in a deal worth US$4.97 billion alongside an announced mandatory tender offer to acquire the remaining 32.6% stake for US$2.4 billion. With the combined value of these two bids reaching US$7.4 billion, Singapore’s overseas acquisitions in Indonesia reached a record high of US$11.6 billion, or 59.2% of the outbound activity.

However, Australia and China saw the most number of acquisitions from Singapore with 47 and 46 announced deals, respectively, so far this year.  



More From Singapore Business Review
 
Recent Quotes
Symbol Price Change % Chg 
Your most recently viewed tickers will automatically show up here if you type a ticker in the "Enter symbol/company" at the bottom of this module.
You need to enable your browser cookies to view your most recent quotes.
 
Sign-in to view quotes in your portfolios.

Market Data

  • Currencies
    Currencies
    NamePriceChange% Chg
    1.2526-0.0002-0.02%
    USDSGD=X
    1.7302-0.0002-0.01%
    EURSGD=X
    2.1033-0.0002-0.01%
    GBPSGD=X
    81.7693+0.00190.00%
    SGDJPY=X
    6.1905+0.0004+0.01%
    SGDHKD=X
    2.5850+0.0002+0.01%
    SGDMYR=X
    9,116.9668-3.3359-0.04%
    SGDIDR=X
    4.9692-0.004-0.08%
    SGDCNY=X
    1.1684-0.0007-0.06%
    AUDSGD=X
  • Commodities
    Commodities
    NamePriceChange% Chg
    1,295.80-7.90-0.61%
    GCQ14.CMX
    19.65+0.02+0.08%
    SIK14.CMX
    90.18-0.65-0.72%
    ^XAU
    3.04+0.02+0.51%
    HGK14.CMX
    104.59+0.83+0.80%
    CLK14.NYM
  • Bonds
    Bonds
    TreasuryYield (%)Yield Change
    1.73+0.08
    ^FVX
    2.72+0.08
    ^TNX
    3.52+0.06
    ^TYX

MARKET MOVERS

  • Most Actives
    Most Actives
    NamePriceChange% Chg
    0.115-0.002-1.71%
    B22.SI
    0.48+0.020+4.35%
    5GJ.SI
    2.27+0.090+4.13%
    5ME.SI
    2.190.0000.00%
    JS8.SI
    0.61+0.005+0.83%
    E5H.SI
  • % Gainers
    % Gainers
    NamePriceChange% Chg
    0.162+0.034+26.56%
    5GF.SI
    0.20+0.034+20.48%
    5WD.SI
    0.59+0.050+9.26%
    L5I.SI
    0.28+0.020+7.69%
    C33.SI
    0.215+0.015+7.50%
    5UE.SI
  • % Losers
    % Losers
    NamePriceChange% Chg
    0.103-0.010-8.85%
    5OS.SI
    0.112-0.008-6.67%
    5RC.SI
    0.355-0.025-6.58%
    KJ9.SI
    0.215-0.015-6.52%
    F9M.SI
    0.29-0.020-6.45%
    5PC.SI