Leading health experts around the world are now warning people not to ingest household cleaning products to treat the coronavirus or prevent its onset.
“My take is please don’t do that. We need to follow the science and the evidence. There is no evidence for that to be effective. I think hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette, and social distancing are all really the elements that we need to focus on to prevent exposure,” Dr. Anand Parekh, chief medical advisor at the Bipartisan Policy Center and former HHS deputy assistant secretary said on Yahoo Finance The First Trade.
What was once an unthinkable voluntary action — ingesting household cleaning solutions — got posed by President Trump in his latest coronavirus press briefing.
Trump said Thursday he has seen “the disinfectant where it knocks it [coronavirus] out in a minute.” He added, “And is there a way you can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? As you see, it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it'll be interesting to check that. It sounds interesting to me.”
The comments quickly caught fire on Twitter, with many users opining the ingestion of Lysol or Clorox could kill the coronavirus or prevent it entirely. Common sense and big warning labels on the products say the ingestion of household cleaners would kill a person first before it knocks out any coronavirus.
Trump’s comments triggered a stern response by Lysol maker Reckitt Benckiser.
“Due to recent speculation and social media activity, RB (the makers of Lysol and Dettol) has been asked whether internal administration of disinfectants may be appropriate for investigation or use as a treatment for coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2),” the company said in a statement.
“As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route). As with all products, our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines. Please read the label and safety information,” it continued.