Australian flag carrier Qantas on Thursday announced it would slash 400 maintenance jobs as part of a restructure aimed at cutting costs and shifting focus to Asia.
The airline said the cuts would involve 150 staff and 250 contractors, as it consolidates its maintenance operations to achieve savings under heavy competition, fuel costs and the strong Australian dollar.
The move follows the loss of hundreds of maintenance posts six months ago.
Lyell Strambi, chief of Qantas's domestic arm, said fleet modernisation had significantly reduced the need for engineering staff, with newer-generation aircraft needing less maintenance, less often.
"The Qantas group fleet age is at its lowest level in 20 years, with 122 new aircraft joining the fleet in the past four-and-a-half years," Strambi said.
"I believe we have some of the most highly skilled and capable engineers in the world," he added.
"Unfortunately we just have too many for the work we have right now and the work we expect to have in future."
The Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association said the cuts were "becoming dangerous and Qantas management are disregarding basic laws of aviation safety", adding that it was on track to becoming an "unsafe operator".
Qantas slammed the comments, saying "we reject this outright".
The contractors and a small number of Qantas staff had been working on the refurbishment of nine Boeing 747s and the carrier said most of the rest of those being sacked were from "overstaffed" facilities in Sydney.
"Aviation is an extraordinarily competitive industry and we have the added pressures of the high Australian dollar and high costs relative to the rest of the world," said Strambi.
Qantas estimates that its cost base in heavy maintenance is more than 30 percent higher than its competitors, who Strambi said "do the vast majority of their maintenance overseas".
"We must close this gap to secure Qantas' future viability, and this restructure will assist in making Qantas maintenance facilities in Australia more competitive," he added.
Qantas posted its first loss since privatisation in 1995 back in August, plunging Aus$244 million (US$254 million) into the red, a massive reverse from a net profit of Aus$250 million in the previous 12 months.
The firm announced 500 maintenance job cuts back in May, closing down its Tullamarine operations in Melbourne and axing staff at nearby Avalon to consolidate engineering into two facilities in a bid to cut costs.
Also in May, Qantas split its loss-making international arm from its domestic business in a bid to reverse its fortunes, also forging a mammoth tie-up with Emirates it hopes will stem losses and help its push into Asia.
Qantas shares closed 1.54 percent lower at Aus$1.28.