- Seasoned Professional Seeks Guidance on Pre-Retirement … Morningstar - 18 hours ago
In case a layoff 'comes out of nowhere,' we prep a portfolio for liquidity and long-term growth.
- T. Rowe Expands Target-Date Business With New Seri … Morningstar - Fri, May 24, 2013 3:00 AM SGT
In a tough week for Marsico, the firm is removed as a subadvisor on two separate funds. Also, Calamos plans dividend and mid-growth funds, Oppenheimer to close Discovery to new investors, and John Hancock ...
- Soon-to-Retire Couple Balances Travel Dreams With Portfolio … Morningstar - Thu, May 23, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
The bucket strategy helps tee up near-term distributions and set long-term allocations.
- The Devil, the Details, and Fund Manager Changes Morningstar - Thu, May 23, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Why some funds' Analyst Ratings change when their managers do and others don't.
- Newer Investor Seeks Guidance on Asset Allocation Morningstar - Wed, May 22, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
This investor is looking to better-position an inherited IRA for RMDs--and future growth.
- Can Vanguard Keep the Faith While Expanding Even F … Morningstar - Tue, May 21, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
The biggest U.S. fund firm still stands out.
- Sandwich Generation Couple Plots Transition to Ret … Morningstar - Tue, May 21, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Retirement beckons, and this couple has some decisions to make.
- Opening a Coverdell May Require Shopping Around Morningstar - Tue, May 21, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Vanguard and Fidelity are among fund shops that don't offer the accounts to those beginning to save for educational expenses.
- Our Ratings Are Driven by Fundamentals Morningstar - Mon, May 20, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
We look for the best a category has to offer and leave the market calls to others.
- Government Stinginess Morningstar - Sat, May 18, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
A lower deficit is great longer-term news, but it could continue to hurt short-term data.
- A Raft of Portfolio Manager Changes at Janus Morningstar - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:12 AM SGT
Also, Vanguard rolls out an emerging-markets bond fund, major portfolio manager departures at T. Rowe Price and FPA, Neuberger Berman to launch a China fund, and Invesco to rework its quant funds.
- A Rare Bird: The Tax-Efficient Alternative Morningstar - Thu, May 16, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Gateway enhances a long-short strategy with tax efficiency.
- Questions and Answers on Morningstar's Valuation M … Morningstar - Thu, May 16, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Morningstar StockInvestor editor Matt Coffina answers some common questions about Morningstar's valuation model.
- Bond Funds Bring It on Home Morningstar - Tue, May 14, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
With bargains scarce, some core bond managers aren't taking too many chances.
- Roth IRAs vs. 529s: A College-Savings Smackdown Morningstar - Tue, May 14, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Using a retirement account to save for college invites many potential pitfalls.
- A Fistful of Downgrades Morningstar - Mon, May 13, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
We lowered the boom on five funds.
- Go-Go, Go-Slow, No-Go? Readers Weigh in on Retirement … Morningstar - Sun, May 12, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Many let portfolio performance dictate how much they spend.
- No News Is Good News Morningstar - Sat, May 11, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
There was little economic news to spook the market this week, but next week's data could prove to be a real test.
- MBIA Investment a Big Win for Fairholme's Berkowit … Morningstar - Fri, May 10, 2013 5:30 AM SGT
A promotion at Heartland Advisors, former Fidelity Magellan PM Jeffrey Vinik to shutter his hedge fund, and Southeastern readies another proxy fight.
- Timeless Lessons From the Oracle of Omaha Morningstar - Thu, May 9, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Morningstar StockInvestor editor Matt Coffina shares takeaways from this year's Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting.
- Can a Great Stock Also Be a Great Fund Family? Morningstar - Thu, May 9, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
BlackRock has yet to realize its full potential for fundholders.
- College-Planning Tips for Special-Needs Families Morningstar - Tue, May 7, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
More students with disabilities are attending college, making the need for financial planning even greater.
- Is Your 529 Plan a Star Performer? Morningstar - Tue, May 7, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Morningstar measures college-savings plans' risk-adjusted performance.
- Yacktman Focused's Markup Is Needless Morningstar - Mon, May 6, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
A higher-than-necessary expense ratio holds this Silver-rated fund back.
- Long-Term Care: Denial Is Not One of the Choices Morningstar - Mon, May 6, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Eschewing insurance? Make sure you have a viable backup plan.
- A Dividend and Slow Growth or Fast Growth With No … Morningstar - Sun, May 5, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Readers offer their thoughts on whether it's better to own a longtime blue chip or a leading Internet firm.
- An Economy in the Middle: No Boom, No Bust Morningstar - Sat, May 4, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Economic data this week was slow enough to keep central bank stimulus flowing yet good enough to avert recession fears, writes Morningstar’s Bob Johnson.
- American Century Sends Livestrong Brand Into Retir … Morningstar - Fri, May 3, 2013 5:00 AM SGT
A new manager for T. Rowe Price New Era, DWS fires a subadvisor, Matthews launches 2 Asia funds and makes manager changes on 2 other funds, Cohen & Steers founders pull back, and a Waddell & Reed bond ...
- Funds That (Still) Buy Like Buffett, 2013 Morningstar - Thu, May 2, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Funds with similar stock holdings to Warren Buffett have excelled over time.
- How Will State and Local Taxes Affect Your Retirem … Morningstar - Thu, May 2, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Here are several tips for reducing your tax outlay without having to relocate.
- A Tale of Two Yields: Part I Morningstar - Tue, Apr 30, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
What a comparison of a fund's trailing 12-month and SEC yields can tell us.
- Don't Get Carried Away With Floating-Rate Funds Morningstar - Tue, Apr 30, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Yes, they offer protection against a rise in interest rates, but they also can add credit risk.
- Invest With Buffett, Like Buffett, or Both? Morningstar - Sun, Apr 28, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Readers say they've learned much about quality, valuation, and patience from the Oracle of Omaha.
- U.S. GDP Not as Good as the Report Suggests Morningstar - Sat, Apr 27, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
The year-over-year data paints a very different picture than the quarter-to-quarter annualized data we got on Friday.
- 3 Leave Third Avenue International Value Morningstar - Fri, Apr 26, 2013 5:15 AM SGT
Bob Doll to take the helm of a Nuveen large-cap value fund, Gary Black to manage a new alts fund for Calamos, RiverPark drafts a new alts fund, and ALPS plans a tactical Asia-Pacific fund. Also, 3 new ...
- 5 Key Questions to Ask Before Purchasing an Equity-Indexed … Morningstar - Thu, Apr 25, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Annuities providing 'equity exposure with guardrails' have taken off in popularity, but the due diligence process is a headache.
- It's Time for a Reality Check on Closed-End Funds Morningstar - Thu, Apr 25, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
CEFs have a role in risk-tolerant portfolios.
- Monte Carlo's Role in Retirement Planning Morningstar - Tue, Apr 23, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
This statistical method is designed to help improve your odds of meeting your financial goals but is not without its flaws.
- 529s Win More College Savings Despite Performance … Morningstar - Tue, Apr 23, 2013 1:20 AM SGT
Fees continue to fall, but mutual funds and indexes post better returns.
- 3 New Comanagers for Oakmark Equity and Income Morningstar - Tue, Apr 23, 2013 1:00 AM SGT
Harris Associates promotes three members of its research team to join longtime skipper Clyde McGregor on the Silver-rated fund.
- The Error-Proof Portfolio: Use Market Shocks to Get … Morningstar - Mon, Apr 22, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
The recent downdraft can serve as impetus to address asset-class imbalances and check other risk factors.
- Tip-Swapping on Long-Term Care Insurance Morningstar - Sun, Apr 21, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Morningstar.com readers offer their input on whether to buy it, when to buy it, and what features to seek in this complicated insurance product.
- Falling Prices: Too Much of a Good Thing? Morningstar - Sat, Apr 20, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Falling prices are generally good for consumers, but is the U.S. moving into the deflationary world of Japan?
- How to Stress-Test a Portfolio's Interest-Rate Sen … Morningstar - Fri, Apr 19, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Following this rule of thumb might serve you well in case interest rates go up.
- Should You Rebalance Into (Gulp) Bonds? Morningstar - Fri, Apr 19, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Morningstar's Christine Benz and other financial experts weigh in on what to do when a sound portfolio practice collides with an unattractive asset class.
- How Much Should Retirees Stake in TIPS? Morningstar - Fri, Apr 19, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Add inflation protection to your portfolio, sensibly.
- How Much Foreign-Bond Exposure Do Retirees Need? Morningstar - Fri, Apr 19, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Currency fluctuations add an extra layer of volatility.
- Find the Right Stock/Bond Mix Morningstar - Fri, Apr 19, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
Asset allocation is the biggest determinant of how your portfolio behaves.
- Longleaf Partners Global Reopens to New Investors Morningstar - Fri, Apr 19, 2013 4:18 AM SGT
Management changes at Fidelity funds, a new CIO at D.E. Shaw, TIAA-CREF rolls out a new international fund, a Gold-rated FMI fund to close, and more.
- Bank Loans Appealing but Far From a Cash Alternati … Morningstar - Thu, Apr 18, 2013 7:00 PM SGT
These funds are best used to augment--rather than supplant--high-quality fixed-income exposure.